Diddy... Dirty Money. Stand up or sit down?
I gotta give it to Mr. Pop a diddy p diddle doo wop a do wam boo. He's trying. What do you all think of this new Dirty Money situation. I like Dawn and Kalenna as a unit. Though I'm really trying to rap my mind around this "movement". Still debating whether I'm hopping on this last train to paris... I'm gonna hold onto my buddy pass for a minute.
This brings me to another topic. Seperating artistry from business. If one can manage both, should they? I'm struggling with this. Diddy has acquired a business acumen from immersing himself in an industry and clawing his way to the top from a pretty young age. I think its safe to say that he isn't the most "musical" person in the world but he's able to identify and successfully market the "now" and the "future" (whether its substantive or not).
I love the business of music. The problems that (could have been avoided) need to be solved with regard to new revenue streams, the act of finding new talent and of managing the recording process. How do blur the lines between both? If Jermaine Dupri can be a successful producer and a major executive at Def Jam... can I? Anyways.. more on that later... on to the next video...
Janelle Monae "Tightrope"
Y'all know how i feel about Janelle. I have a girl crush. This song, this video, just everything... i love love love. What do you think? I would like her to see wear something outside of grey scale at some point though. lolol. Janelle. YES!
Erykah Badu "window seat"
Had to link to this one because the internet police have blocked this from any and everywhere. I totally love this. I drew my own message from the video which coincides with what she was trying to convey about status quo and conformity... ppl thinks shes lost her noods... how do u feel?
http://www.singersroom.com/video/Erykah-Badu/Window-Seat/1131
And last but not least.. miss Nicki Minaj....
I think this whole situation is a failblog moment. Was totally taken by her ingenuity when she arrived. Can NOT cosign to this song or video though... I understand that her M.O. is animated tomfoolery sprinkled with lil kim swag... which i liked. Though i just dont ... really... get.. the artistry in this song or video... anyhooo... peep it... thoughts? ....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ok, so abt P diddy, he has impressed me. He single handedly bulldozed his way through any business he's put his hands on. I'm not sure i'll say he's an adroit but he certainly has made the spirit of free enterprising pretty proud. That much, I can respect and admire
ReplyDeletediddy just reminds me of the hiphop al sharpton..refusing to pass the baton in some ways...I mean, who is really checking for bad boy
ReplyDeleteand why is a BRILLIANT artist like janelle signed to him?
he only knows how to put out debut albums, if she is looking for longevity, she needs to bail and fast!
I like this. Michele Wallace.
ReplyDeleteOkay, since no one else wants to comment on the last two videos/songs, I will. Ms. Erykah Booty! I like the message with the JFK theme and all but Jesus Christ did you see the donk on her!?! She knew she would cause controversy and it was all intentional. Even the fact that the camera was behind her when she was in the underwear played its part. She knows that her album is gonna be selling and the nakedness is a factor. But hey...a girl's gotta do what she's gotta do
ReplyDeleteAnd Booty #2, Ms. Minaj. With a name so promiscuous and misspelled, I would not have expected any better. She really is on a different planet with this video. Maybe she was going for the weird is good thing and skipped the whole make a statement part (as in Erykah Badu's video). In this case, I hate the video, think the song aiight, but of course love the booty. Its obviously fake though. We all know that girls in NYC don't have booty like this; She imported that straight from Jackson, Missippi. My 2 cents - Ummm Yeah
Nicky Minaj is nice to watch whether you like girls or not. I watched that video and found myself strangly attracted to her silicone filled seat cushion. That's what she was going for with her whole bisexual proclamation especially in Usher's Song "Little Freak." She kinda has universal sex appeal. That is what is really carrying her and the likes of Rhianna, Ciara, and used to carry her object of "bite-tatude" now non-relevant Lil' Kim. I hope Nicky Minaj enjoys her last 10 minutes of fame.
ReplyDeleteHAHAHAHAHA "I watched that video and found myself strangly attracted to her silicone filled seat cushion."
ReplyDeleteHilarious.